Friday, May 31, 2013

Rain Reigns


Into each life, some rain must fall.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Thank goodness, Henry. Thank goodness. We were beginning to wonder after two-plus years of drought.

A total of 4.25 inches of rain fell on the County Line from Wednesday night into Thursday. We farmers would like to order rain like we order a Diet Coke. Maybe we didn't need the Big Gulp size all at once. But it sure helped quench our thirst for moisture. 

As we drove down the County Line last evening, Randy and I couldn't remember the last time we'd gotten 4-plus inches of rain all at once.
We were fortunate. We just got a Thomas Kincaid sunset illuminating storm clouds on Wednesday night, while North Central Kansas got tornadoes and hail.
We got plenty of wind, but not as much as my brother in Pratt County, who had an irrigation system overturned, as did a couple of his neighbors.

I realized after I looked at photos I took Wednesday night that I should have set a much quicker shutter speed. But the wheat field definitely demonstrated its dizzying resemblance to waves on the ocean during this time that "real" photographers call "the golden hour."
 Randy says the rain was ideal timing for filling wheat heads with grain.
However, in some places, the rain and wind knocked over wheat, giving the field a look of bedhead after a rough night of tossing and turning.

But it was like that only in areas of the fields.
This year, we'll have some wheat drowned out by mudholes. And that's OK. For the past two years, there have been no mudholes at all.
The ladybugs seemed to like the moisture Thursday evening.
 (I also found some ladybug larvae. I saw a photo in The Hutchinson News last Sunday and was surprised when I found one in our field, too. I don't think I'd ever seen that before. See photo below.)
The rain didn't just benefit the wheat crop. It also gave a boost to the corn ...
... and it helped fill waterways like Peace Creek and replenished grasses in pastures, where our cow-calf pairs are grazing this summer.
It gave an extra boost of growing energy to our alfalfa fields. A guy who checks oil wells in our area has been talking to Randy about this field south of our house. Randy planted it three years ago. With the lack of rain, we haven't ever gotten a good crop of alfalfa from it. However, Carl is saying that this is the year he'll get to see big windrows of hay and then lots of bales. We hope he's right.
Kansas truly is the Land of Ahs on a day after a rain.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures, and our part of Kansas, (northeast) is full of water, too, this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Ann! One of my Facebook friends reminded me that Western Kansas could use a large dose of this elixir we call rain. That is so true! Glad you got some, too. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
    2. You've been so dry. Glad to see some water standing.

      Delete
    3. Me too! We were trying to figure out how long it's been since we got a rain that big. We think it was 2009. It seems longer!

      Delete
  2. Hello Kim ! I am Kokila from http://sunshineandblueclouds.blogspot.in/

    I stumbled upon your blog while searching for wheat ears with lad bug pics .. and what a lucky chance...
    I loved your place as it exudes warmth and love you have for Kansas and nature ... I too share both these traits with you along with the letter 'K' :P

    Kim, I have used and linked back a pic from your post here
    http://sunshineandblueclouds.blogspot.in/2014/11/haiku-ripe-gold.html
    If you have any issue with it , kindly let me know and I;ll remove the pic .. Till then happy blogging :)
    and lots of luck with weather and life :)

    ReplyDelete